Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ride 1: Narita Airport to Narita Township (成田)

Most would be familiar with Narita Airport. But who would have thought there's a town called Narita? I mean there's no town called LaGuardia or Heathrow. That I found Narita at all was only because I wanted a town close to the airport so I can do a little riding, test all the gear and prepare for the actual ride into Tokyo  the next day (not to say anything of my Anglo-centrism). And what a find it is! Very pretty old town with a grand Buddhist temple on the mountain side adjacent to the town center. Next time flying out of Narita, would highly recommend staying a night in this charming little town.

So after picking up my gear and assembling my bike at the arrivals terminal, I cycled out of the airport towards Narita. I didn't have a map at this point but it was easy enough to follow the signs to 成田 and avoid the motorway!



In hindsight, this is the track I followed. A total of around 10km. There's some pronounced downhills out of the airport and I got up to 45km/hr. Anything past this speed I don't think is a good idea. Can feel a bit of flex in the frame (though I suspect it is mostly just in neck of the handlebars). Being weighed down doesn't enhance performance either. But this is fast enough! Brakes and gears worked wonderfully.


Main street in Narita with many specialty shops selling all kinds of foods and crafts (great for taking home next time on the plane)!


Entrance to the temple at dusk. It's by far the cleanest, most well looked after temple I've ever seen. Though after a while in Japan, I've come to expect this and have gotten used to it.



The main hall. The inner hall is red carpeted, has all the gear for rituals and enclosed by large glass panels. But no photos allowed.



First time living on a tatami mat. Actually pretty comfortable. I liken it to 'glorified camping'. Though sitting on the floor cross legged and trying to read or type is not for my ergonomics.


This is the family shrine in the living room of the Kirinoya Ryokan where I stayed. The owner told me several times that his family descended from a high ranking samurai (only later did I understand that in the old days this meant his family got a rice stipend and was considered a higher caste, than say the farmers and the merchants)


First of many ramens. Alcohol is disproportionately expensive for some reason here. Won't be having too much of that anyway given early rides...


Nice and early tomorrow to Tokyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment