Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Ride 7: Matsumoto (松本) to Shirahone Onsen (白骨温泉)

55km, cycling time 8:50AM - 4:00PM. Uphill until last 3km descent to Shirahone Onsen. ~10C and high clouds for most of day. Very light snow from around 3:30PM, ~5C near Shirahone Onsen.

Matsumoto is situated in a large valley which gently slopes upwards on the east side. Rode out along Route 158 first to Shinshimashima, which is the last train stop and the beginning of the climb along the Azusa River, through a series of tunnels into the Japanese Alps. The Azusa has been extensively dammed. I counted at least 3 large dams, the highest of which forms 梓(zi3)湖.


I had intended to take Route 300 south, but it was closed for maintenance work. Hence I took a detour along Route 84 and then north to Shirahone. Very tough climbs, but got to see more of the mountains!


A group of visitors staying at Ryokan Seifuso wanted to take a photo with me before I took off.


 Japanese Alps in the distance from Matsumoto.


Curious statue along the way:


Shinshimashima, last stop before the real climb.


 View of the Azusa Valley.


A typical farm house in the lower valley with a thriving persimmon (柿子) tree.


Oooops. I had to confirm with a local, but that looks to me like the road to 白骨 is closed.


Further along, with an arm of 梓湖 to my right.


Official photo across the dam at 梓湖. The wind here was unbelieveable - quickly rode on into the tunnel on the other side ... (the only time so far I preferred a tunnel)


Beautiful part where the lake (or really the river) bends.


Everywhere I go, there is an excess of machinery in Japan. Talk about capital intensive and fully industrialized! Down below, bunch of diggers and trucks loading up rocks from the river bed. This is a small river. How long can they keep up this digging?

Looking back on a section of Route 84. I'm in what's called 乘鞍高原. Been relentless climbing since Shinshimashima. I'm around 1,500m at this point.


At 乘鞍高原 township, I turned north on Route 300. Over this mountain is Shirahone Onsen. The trees are shedding their leaves and the ground is covered with a layer of fine pine needles.


Looking down at 乘鞍高原 township


The highest point of the day, just before the tunnel which takes me to Shirahone's side of the mountain. There is actually a bit of light snow and temperatures have fallen noticeably.


First view of Shirahone across the other side of the tunnel. Clouds are gathering and snow is picking up.


Shirahone Onsen is down in a deep gorge. 3km of downhills (thankfully!) and I'm there and very ready for the onsen!


Tsuruya Ryokan, and I've arrived.


No comments:

Post a Comment