Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Ride 6: 富士见高原 to Matsumoto (松本)

65km, cycling time 8:50AM until 3:30PM, overcast most of the day until around 1:30PM, then rain with increasing severity. Temperature ~5C in morning and ~8-10C during the day.


I had expected downhill until around Chino, but there was actually a slight downhill all the way to Suwa. After going around Lake Suwa and a climb after Okaya, the downhill lasted all the way to the outskirts of Matsumoto. I managed ~25-30km/hr for about 12km before Matsumoto - just as well since the rain was really picking up.



Leaving ryokan Ryozo at 富士见高原 with the very kind owner. One of her CD's was Leona Lewis, which reminded me of my college blockmate Joe Hong's amazing cover. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hThGYp5ZRLw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Houses in the 富士见高原 area - reminds one of New England right?

 

About 3km from departure point - hundreds of people spread out over several kms trimming weeds and cutting grass by the highway. This was a Sunday and for some reason my first reaction was the state organising public works for the unemployed since their gear is quite uniform and very mechanised (like most of Japan). But the more I observed the more these guys looked like volunteers. Most were in their 50s and 60s. Tough workout and very impressive.


Nice autumn colors along the way. From this point, I went for 20km of downhills until Chino...

Scenery during the downhill - mountain villages and fields. Biggest problem with downhills is the cold. No heat generated through exercise and windchill! Need a motorcycling jacket more than any cycling gear! I put on all my clothes and honestly if there were another 5km of downhills, I would have had to rest to warm up before going any further. Good thing is this is the fastest 20km I've done all trip.



I'm big fan of vegetable patches and here's a typical farmhouse with vegetable patch I've encountered throughout my trip so far. The Shinto shrine is to the side of the field. Also note the campaign poster - see these everywhere in rural Japan. Their votes must be important. I even saw a posters for the Japan Communist Party!

Arrived at Lake Suwa (11:22AM). Not a particularly large lake - 24th in Japan, but quite industrialized all around. I was surprised to see so many industries this far up a valley, but apparently the Suwa area is a well established precision instruments manufacturing base. Sayo Masuda (Autobiography of a Geisha) tried to drown herself in this lake as a child but didn't do it in the end.


Example of such a factory. Quite a few Epson plants also around. If this were China, only 乡镇企业 would exist this far up a valley. Not sure how well these guys are doing (or will do in the future, as competition in places like China become more sophisticated) but impressive nonetheless that they've gotten this far.


It's Sunday and kids play baseball. It's the mothers that take them there. I tried to find fathers but couldn't find one!


I learnt motorcycling basics in a plain old carpark in the Bronx. This is one fancy car park! It even has a simulated railway crossing and traffic lights. I guess this is what they do in Japan.


Beginning of the climb at Okaya; great view of the city and lake below.


View from the top of the hill before the downhill into the Matsumoto valley. Couple minutes into the downhill, light rain started to come down - improvised rain cover for the laptop using cover designed for the handlebar bag. Usually laptop lives in the waterproof rear sidebags but too much hassle to put it back. Have used laptop's power USB port in sleep mode as iPhone charging device. Great innovation. Can't wait to get the Lenovo Carbon!


Well, end of Route 20. It has taken me from Tokyo thus far. Rain is pretty strong now but at least I'm on a slight downhill for next 12km to Matsumoto.


Entry into Matsumoto is anything but inspiring. But many Japanese cities I've encountered seem to look like this on the outskirts.


Bowl of hot ramen in the city, and another 20min ride through the rain and I checked into Ryokan Seifuso across the river from the university. Rode the fastest 65km so far. Great feeling!



No comments:

Post a Comment